Sunday, August 23, 2009

Overtime

So our story begins...Upper Klamath Lake in Oregon is the only known place in the world where the amazing Aphanizomenon flos-aquae, a superlative blue-green algae, flourishes in large enough quantities for harvesting. Pure mountain streams and springs feed this sparkling lake anchored in volcanic soil and mineral rich sediment. In 1974 the founders of Cell Tech began an amazing journey to find the world's most nutrient-rich food. They harvested the extraordinary algae from these waters, while transforming a vision into one of America's most unique treasures, Super Blue Green® Algae. *SCREECH* Oh, sorry. I just had to stop the recording of marketing material that constantly plays in my mind when I try to get into the mode of talking about my work. ANYWAY...what do you get when you combine foul smelling seaweed with people? You get AUGUST CELEBRATION and OVERTIME!!! The madness of this yearly event really comes into effect about 2 weeks prior to the date, but 3 days prior...hold on to your hats boys and girls, and join me for the ride!

This is the company that I work for. Not the watermelon, but the awesome logo that the Shilo Inn carved into it for our event.
This is a 2-day event that people from all over the world come to Klamath Falls to celebrate. This year was especially exciting for me because my boss (who lives and works in Tennessee) came to Klamath Falls for the first time in 3 years! So for the span of time that she has been my boss (6 months) I have never worked with her in the same location. Let me just say...when I picked her up on Wednesday morning...the craziness began.

The Executive Assistant to the CEO did a fantastic job organizing the entire event, and I was in charge of all physical items. Such as welcome kits, itineraries, handouts...etc. This is a photo of my co-worker Beth and I putting together the Welcome Kits. Our CEO's wife also got down and dirty and helped to assemble the kits with us lowly peasants. (We love her, not just because she has a wonderful English accent)Beth, Ashley & Peggy

Since my boss had never actually worked in the same place with me, I decided to introduce her to my personality firsthand over the next 3 days. She actually labeled this photo "Ashley the nut job"! That's abuse.I decided to take the abuse though, because I got free lunch and dinner every day. She took us out for the best Italian meal I have ever had in my life on Thursday night. I had Cole take me there again just 4 days later. I am taking my mom there when she comes to visit. PS...Mommy, I'll call you later today. ;)

Friday started off with a bang at the fantastic time of 6am, when I made my co-workers meet me at the event site to get set up. I brought them Starbucks so I didn't hear too many curse words. It was a jammed packed day of meetings for the participants. Let me add in here that I absolutely love my job...and one of the reasons for this is that I absolutely adore my boss. She is loud, crass, and takes no crap from anyone. She is also a slave-driver, demanding, and expects everything done the day prior to the day she gives me an assignment. She's fantastic. I was presented with this mostly due to the fact that I had the good fortune to land her as a boss. :)
Friday night was an event they call "Bob's Bash" in honor of the CEO. I took Cole to it after giving him loads of advance warning.
This is the dancing. It involved a LOT of interpretive dancing. I told the employees of the Shilo the next day that they really need to take down the mirrors that surround the walls of the dance floor since it tended to encourage people to try new...ummm...dancing techniques. I tried to take video on my cell phone, but it was too dark to get more than the laughs in the background noise.
Saturday was more meetings and then dinner at a steakhouse in town for the high rollers. I snuck out with my boss while they were serving sorbet to eat warm creme brule in an adjoining room. She's a bad influence.

I earned about $500 that Cole has announced that I get to spend however I want. I am leaning towards a Wii, a video camera, and some wonderful dishes. Turns out $500 is a lot of money when it doesn't have to go towards a mortgage!

Sunday was a pretty sober day as I went to the tree planting of my good friend from work, Linda.This was followed by her memorial service. I went home and spent all day on the couch with my feet up and missed my friend.

All, in all, it was a great event followed by the perfect ending tribute to a fabulous person.

4 comments:

Leanne said...

Wow - nice! I'm very proud of you!

Cindy said...

Looks good with the flowers behind it. Make sure you keep it sparkling. They really do see your value!

Devon said...

You rock! Can't wait to see you this weekend.

Cindy said...

Nice job with the story. I almost felt like I was living it. Mmmm. Can't wait for the Italian....food;0